Reimbursement for Mileage in 2017

Reimbursement for Mileage in 2017

By: Kevin Kampschror, Esq.

Under the law in Nevada, any injured worker who traveled to an authorized doctor’s office either 1) more than twenty (20) miles one way, or 2) for a total of forty (40) miles or more during a week period shall be reimbursed for the mileage. See NAC 616C.150. That reimbursement rate is the same rate the IRS sets for mileage reimbursement for that particular year. In 2017, the standard mileage rate set by the IRS is 53.5 cents per mile, down from 54 cents in 2016.

Correctly Using the Mileage Reimbursement Form

In order to be reimbursed, injured workers must use the mileage reimbursement form provided by the adjuster (or attorney if you hire one) and submit the form within sixty (60) days of each trip that qualifies under the law. The form is called a D-26 – Application for Reimbursement of Claim Related Travel Expenses. If you do not submit the mileage reimbursement, the adjuster may deny your request to be reimbursed altogether.

Since you can be reimbursed by law, does the adjuster automatically reimburse you? No. You have to be the one to submit the form to the adjuster, and you have to be the one to follow up with the adjuster if you do not see a reimbursement check. Make sure you keep copies of your mileage forms that you turn in, as things in workers’ compensation seem to get lost very easily. Additionally, if you have to contact the adjuster to follow-up with a reimbursement check, you will want what you requested handy to look at to assist the adjuster.

Speak With Trust Workers’ Compensation Attorney Today – Call (702) 385-2220 Today!

If you hire an attorney, which is always recommended in workers’ compensation cases, the attorney will submit the mileage form on your behalf, as well as follow up with the adjuster (including but not limited to taking them to court), so you do not have to do any of that on your own.

Contact Shook & Stone today and request a free, initial consultation.