The experienced auto accident attorneys at Shook & Stone specialize in representing individuals who have been hit by motor vehicles as pedestrians. We understand the physical pain and emotional toll that these accidents can take, and we are here to help you through the legal process.
Our team of lawyers has a proven track record of success in obtaining fair compensation for our clients. We want to help you get the justice and compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses.
Don’t wait, contact Shook & Stone today to schedule a free consultation with a skilled Las Vegas pedestrian accident lawyer. We are here to help you every step of the way.
Injuries from Pedestrian Accidents
With an increasing number of people walking the streets at all hours of the day and night, it is no surprise that the number of accidents involving pedestrians has risen over the years as well.
According to statistics released by Safe Kids Worldwide, there has been a 43% increase in pedestrian deaths between 2004 and 2013.
While the majority of pedestrian deaths occur due to intentional or reckless behavior on the part of pedestrians, there are still more cases where a vehicle is at fault for these types of accidents.
It is important to have an experienced and caring attorney fighting for you if you become involved in a traffic accident.
Pedestrian Injuries Typically Stem from One of Seven Common Causes:
- A vehicle is traveling too fast for the road conditions or visibility. This can be especially dangerous to pedestrians if there are sharp curves, a narrow road, or they are walking on an unlit area of a street late at night.
- A vehicle changing lanes and colliding with another vehicle or a pedestrian crossing the street.
- Failure to yield right of way by turning vehicles.
- Speeding vehicles that strike an unsuspecting pedestrian.
- The lack of sidewalks in some areas can also increase the risk of injury to pedestrians, as they may choose to walk in the road instead.
Vehicles striking a pedestrian at an intersection.
- Drivers behind the wheel of heavy vehicles such as trucks or buses may not see a pedestrian in their path, especially if they are walking along the side of a lane rather than in a crosswalk.
On April 26th, 2023, an 18-year-old student was crossing an intersection on a marked crosswalk, and a driver went through the crosswalk and hit the student. This incident happened on Tenaya Way. This is one example of how distracted driving accidents occur when vehicles strike pedestrians at intersections. The driver was cited at the scene of the accident. 
Rights to Compensation when A Pedestrian Is Hurt by An Automobile
A devastating result of any pedestrian accident is the high likelihood of suffering some type of injury. Pedestrian accident injury severity ranges anywhere from mild to severe to even fatal.
Our seasoned Las Vegas pedestrian accident attorneys can help determine if any compensation should be collected for medical care expenses and damages incurred as a result of a motor vehicle accident with an automobile or large vehicle, such as a commercial truck.
Recovery of lost wages may be needed, especially if you have suffered from a long-term disability that keeps you from working.
Help may also be needed in seeking compensation for the wrongful death of a loved one who was struck and killed by an automobile.
All too often, these types of cases involve neglect on the part of the driver to pay attention or obey traffic laws.
Common Types of Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
In the event that you are involved in a pedestrian accident in Las Vegas, you may suffer from any of the following:
- Broken bones (ankles, arms or legs)
- Chronic pain
- Crush injuries
- Dislocated joints
- Head trauma or traumatic brain injury
- Internal injuries (internal organ damage)
- Lacerations and abrasions to the face and body
- Neck trauma, fractured or broken vertebrae
- Nerve damage
- Road burns and road rash
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
None of these severe injuries should be taken lightly, especially when the results can leave you suffering from ongoing health issues.
A skilled pedestrian injury lawyer in Las Vegas could help determine if there is a need to seek damages to cover any medical bills that were incurred and other expenses relating to your recovery. They will work with the insurance company in an effort to ensure your legal claim is reviewed and that you receive the best possible settlement on your case.
Statute of Limitations in Nevada on Pedestrian Accidents
In Nevada, the statute of limitations is two years after the date the plaintiff discovers or should have discovered, his or her injury. The statute of limitations is the time limit within which an accident victim has to bring a lawsuit.
How Can I Get Compensation for My Pedestrian Accident?
If you or someone that you love has suffered catastrophic injuries as a pedestrian in a collision with an automobile, it is important to take action right away.
You will need the assistance of an attorney who could help determine if there is any type of compensation that should be collected for your injuries and other losses.
Without their help, you may not receive the full compensation that you deserve.
Insurance Company Tactics with Pedestrian Accidents
Insurance companies often use various tactics to minimize the amount of compensation they pay out to victims of pedestrian accidents.
An insurance adjuster may contact the victim soon after the accident and offer a low-ball settlement in hopes of ending the case quickly and cheaply. They may also try to argue that the injured person was partially or entirely at fault for the accident or that their injuries are not as severe as they claim.
Insurance companies may delay payment or deny coverage altogether, leaving victims to shoulder the burden of their medical expenses and other damages.
An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer in Las Vegas can help victims navigate the complicated world of insurance claims and fight back against these tactics.
They can advise the victim on their rights, negotiate with the insurance company on their behalf, and represent them in court if needed.
An experienced Las Vegas pedestrian accident attorney will also gather evidence to support the pedestrian accident victim’s claim, such as witness statements, medical records, and accident reports. The goal is to secure a fair settlement or verdict that fully compensates the victim for their injuries, economic and non-economic damages, and losses.
Common Types of Compensation for Damages
The following are examples of financial compensation that may be obtained due to pedestrian accidents:
The amount of compensation for your injuries will vary according to the severity and if any long-term disability results.
- Emotional distress
- Future loss of income
- Lost wages from time off work when injured;
- Medical expenses for past, present or future care;
- Pain and suffering from injuries sustained in an accident
A diligent pedestrian injury lawyer in Las Vegas will also help you file insurance claims for any medical bills that were incurred. They can also assist in determining if there is a need to obtain lost wages due to long-term disability or rehabilitation that was required as a result of the collision with the automobile.
What You Should Do at the Scene of the Pedestrian Accident
After a pedestrian accident, it is vital that you take the following steps:
- Call 911 and let paramedics know of any injuries. Be honest about how serious they are so first responders can provide the appropriate care as soon as possible.
- Contact family members or friends to let them know what happened and that you are injured. Having loved ones close by when you are in distress will help them to know what is going on and how they can provide the necessary support for your recovery.
- Protect yourself from getting hit again or becoming trapped under a vehicle. Stay out of the road if possible until after first responders arrive on the scene.
- Exchange any information that you have about the motorist.
- Take photographs of the accident scene and vehicles involved.
Things to Remember After a Pedestrian Accident
It is important to remember some key factors following an accident in which you were injured as a pedestrian:
- Seek medical attention immediately after injuries occur;
- Avoid being approached by insurance agents;
- Keep all of your medical records and do not throw them out. These records will be vital when you seek compensation for damages and injuries;
- Request a copy of the crash report;
- Do not sign any documents that indicate that you are accepting liability for the accident if it was caused by a negligent driver. Accepting these papers can invalidate any future claim against the other party’s insurance company.
Nevada Statistics on Pedestrian Accidents
- There were 391 fatal pedestrian accidents on Nevada roads from 2016 to 2020.
- In 2020, there were 79 pedestrian traffic fatalities in Nevada. 
Contact Our Las Vegas Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Today
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident and are looking for experienced legal assistance, contact a Las Vegas pedestrian accident lawyer at Shook & Stone today.
At our firm, we understand the law and have years of experience dealing with pedestrians who have sustained injuries due to negligent and distracted drivers. We will be there to fight for your rights and ensure that you get the fair compensation that is due to you.
Our team of experts is here to help you every step of the way, from filing your personal injury claim to ensuring that you get the best settlement possible. Contact us for more information about pedestrian accident claims and how we can help you.
 Pedestrians – Zero Fatalities. (n.d.). Zero Fatalities. https://zerofatalitiesnv.com/vulnerable-road-users/pedestrians/
 Student Injured after Pedestrian Crash on Tenaya Way [Las Vegas, NV] – LA Weekly. (2023, May 23). LA Weekly.