Shook & Stone are personal injury lawyers in Las Vegas serving all of Nevada in truck accident injury cases.
Truck accidents often result in very serious injuries or even death. If you have been involved in a tractor-trailer collision, it is important to seek the help of a Las Vegas truck accident lawyer who can help you get the compensation you deserve.
At Shook & Stone, our diligent auto accident attorneys have over 100 years of combined experience handling truck accident cases.
We have the knowledge and resources necessary to help you get the maximum compensation for your injuries.
Truck crashes can occur for a number of reasons, including driver error, mechanical failure, and weather conditions. No matter what the cause of the accident, if you have been injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Compensation can include medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Do not hesitate to contact Shook & Stone today for a free consultation with one of our experienced accident attorneys. We will review your case and help you understand your legal options.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Las Vegas
There are a number of different factors that can contribute to a truck wreck. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents in Las Vegas include:
Truck drivers are often under a lot of pressure to meet deadlines. This can lead to them making careless mistakes, such as driving for too long without taking a break or not paying attention to the road.
Truck accidents can also be caused by mechanical failures, such as problems with the brakes or tires.
Weather conditions: Inclement weather can make driving conditions more difficult and can lead to truck accidents.
Truck drivers often work long hours and can become fatigued. This can lead to them making mistakes, such as falling asleep at the wheel or having poor reaction times.
Distracted driving is a major problem on the roads today and can lead to serious accidents. Truck drivers are often distracted by their cell phones, GPS devices, and other electronic devices. Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of motor vehicle accidents.
When you mix that with a commercial vehicle, the distractions can double, from company monitoring equipment such as log trackers, CB radios, company radios, cell phones, and even streaming applications and social media applications. These distractions can cause major accidents with commercial vehicles.
Not all truck accidents are caused by driver error. In some cases, accidents are caused by defective truck parts, such as brakes or tires. If you have been injured in a collision with a heavy commercial vehicle, it is important to speak with a skilled truck accident lawyer in Las Vegas to find out if you have a case.
Types of injuries sustained in Las Vegas Commercial Vehicle Accidents
Unlike typical traffic accidents, commercial vehicles weigh significantly more than most passenger vehicles. When a commercial vehicle is involved in an accident, the result can be severe injury or sometimes even death.
Semi–trucks are very large, heavy, and damaging vehicles, and there are other commercial trucks and vehicles that would also be very dangerous in a head-on collision, truck rollover accidents, multi-car pile-ups, rear-end accidents, or a T-bone accident.
These larger trucks often have larger gas tanks and, therefore, pose a greater explosion risk. Some of the most common types of injuries sustained in commercial vehicle accidents include:
- Head injuries: Head injuries are some of the most common injuries sustained in truck accidents. These types of injuries can range from mild concussions to serious traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).
- Neck injuries: Neck injuries, such as whiplash, are also common in truck accidents. These types of injuries can cause pain and suffering and can sometimes lead to long-term problems.
- Back injuries: Back injuries, including spinal cord injuries, are also common in truck accidents. These types of injuries can be very serious and can sometimes cause paralysis. Ongoing medical care, such as chiropractic or physical therapy, may be required.
- Fractures: Fractures are also common in truck accidents. Arm bone fractures, leg fractures, shoulder injuries, and facial fractures can occur in an accident. These broken bone injuries can be very painful and can sometimes require proper care or surgery to heal properly.
- Life-Threatening Injuries: Catastrophic injuries such as severe burns or internal injuries have the potential to result in fatal injuries. As these types of injuries are life-threatening, they require immediate medical attention.
Who Is At Fault in a Commercial Vehicle Accident in Las Vegas?
Unlike car accidents where the driver’s insurance company is usually at fault, in a commercial vehicle accident, there are many different parties that could be held liable. Some of the parties that could be held liable in a commercial vehicle accident include:
The truck driver
In many cases, the truck driver may be held liable for the accident. This is because the truck driver is responsible for operating the vehicle in a safe manner. If the truck operator was driving under the influence of alcohol, exceeding speed limits, under the influence of drugs, or in an otherwise unsafe or reckless driving manner, the driver is liable for damages.
The truck company
The trucking company could also be held liable for the accident. This is because the company is responsible for making sure that their drivers are properly trained and that their vehicles are in good working condition. They could also be held responsible for negligent hiring if they hired a driver with a history of aggressive or careless driving.
The manufacturer of the truck
In some cases, the manufacturer of the truck can be held liable for an accident. This is usually the case if there is a problem with the truck, such as defective brakes, the manufacturer would be held liable for brake failures.
What Should You Do if You Are Involved in A Commercial Vehicle Accident in Nevada?
If you are involved in a commercial vehicle accident, there are some important things that you should do to protect your rights. Some of the things that you should do if you are involved in a commercial vehicle accident include:
- Get Medical Help: The first thing that you should do if you are injured in a truck accident is to get medical help. This is important because you will need to document your injuries for insurance purposes.
- Call the Police 911: The second thing that you should do is to call the police. The police will create a report of the accident, which can be used as evidence in your case.
- Take Pictures: The third thing that you should do is to take pictures of the accident scene, as well as your injuries. This will help to document the accident and your injuries.
- Get Witness Information: The fourth thing that you should do is to get the contact information for any witnesses to the accident. This will help to support your case.
- Hire a Lawyer: The fifth and final thing that you should do is hire an experienced truck accident lawyer. An experienced lawyer can help you to understand your rights and can help you to get the compensation that you deserve.
Compensation Recovered in Truck Accidents and Commercial Vehicle Accidents
Cases involving truck accidents with other vehicles involved where the driver of the truck or commercial vehicle is found at fault (or to be the negligent party) may seek fair compensation as an accident victim (or the injured party). This compensation will include:
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: If your injuries prevent you from enjoying life in the same way as before, you may be entitled to compensation for this. Emotional distress is an expected outcome of a trucking crash.
- Medical Expenses: You may be able to recover the cost of your medical bills, both past and future. Attorneys will use medical records as evidence in order to obtain a proper settlement.
- Pain and Suffering: You may be able to recover damages for both physical and emotional pain and suffering that you experienced as a result of the accident and the difficult time that followed.
- Property Damage: If your vehicle was damaged in the accident, you may be able to recover the cost of repairing or replacing it.
- Punitive Damages: If the driver of the truck was found to have acted with negligence, you may be able to recover punitive damages. These are designed to punish the truck driver or trucking company for their negligence.
Semi Truck Accidents and Personal Injury
When it comes to tractor-trailers and accidents with injuries, the trucking companies will be liable for the damage caused by their drivers. Trucking and insurance companies will do everything they can to avoid paying what is rightfully yours.
Many times, these big companies will play hardball with victims and their families in an effort to save themselves money. This is one of the many reasons why it is essential that you have an experienced Las Vegas truck accident attorney on your side.
Statute of Limitations on Truck Accident Injury in Nevada
In Nevada, a person has two years from the date of his or her accident to bring a case. The time period in which an accident victim must file a claim is referred to as the statute of limitations.
Your Rights as an Accident Victim
If you have been involved in an accident with a big rig, it is important that you understand your rights as an accident victim. You may be entitled to financial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. A diligent Las Vegas truck crash lawyer will fight for your rights and make sure that you get the maximum settlement that you deserve.
Commercial Trucks and Accident Victims
Commercial truck drivers involved in motor vehicle accidents, especially with passenger cars, have a greater motivation for not telling the truth to law enforcement. This is due to the very nature of the auto accident outcome. Victims of commercial truck accidents are more seriously hurt in a trucking accident, even at low speeds, because of the sheer size of the vehicle. Truck crashes are more devastating than similar accidents involving smaller vehicles.
What They May Not Say on a Police Report
A truck driver may not mention that they were over their log hours, log hours were falsified, or that there were improper maintenance records for their vehicle. They may be over the maximum weight limit. Commercial drivers are bound by federal and state laws concerning their hours of operation. But, due to pressure from their employers or carriers, they may embellish their log hours to try to make it appear that they are driving legally.
- They Performed a Pre-trip Maintenance Report: Commercial vehicles that travel over 150 miles from pickup or terminal must perform a pre-trip inspection, where they must check things like glad-hand connection, fifth wheel inspection if the load is secure, if the tires look good, if their landing gear is up, and more. Improper vehicle maintenance can be a cause in a motor vehicle accident case.
- Safety Defects and Long Hours Are the Top Two Contributors in Large Truck Accidents: According to the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI), the two most contributing factors in large truck accidents are safety defects and long hours. 
Fault in a Commercial Vehicle Accident
Our qualified tractor-trailer collision attorneys in Las Vegas will…
- Investigate the accident to prove what really happened (gather all types of evidence)
- Gather pieces of evidence to support your legal claim (review accident reconstruction, accident report, and accident scene photos)
- Build a strong case to get you the compensation you deserve (obtain witness statements)
- Negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf (go after liable parties)
- Take your case to trial if necessary (hold parties accountable)
- Get justice for you and your family
Will My Personal Injury Claim Go to Trial?
The vast majority of truck accident cases are resolved without going to trial. However, sometimes, an insurance company or corporation will refuse to make a fair settlement offer.
In these cases, it may be necessary to take your case to trial in order to get the compensation you deserve.
An experienced Las Vegas 18-wheeler crash attorney will offer legal counsel to fight for your rights and make sure that you get the compensation you deserve.
What Are the Steps in a Personal Injury Case?
The first step in a personal injury case is to contact an experienced Las Vegas truck wreck attorney who can help you understand your rights and options.
Once you have hired an attorney, they will begin investigating your case and gathering evidence to support your claim.
They will then send a demand letter to the responsible party, which is usually an insurance company, outlining your injuries and demand for compensation.
If the insurance company does not make a fair settlement offer, your truck accident attorney will file a lawsuit on your behalf. Your case will then proceed through the discovery process, where each side will gather information and evidence.
This can be done through depositions, interrogatories, and requests for the production of documents. Once discovery is complete, your case will either be settled out of court or proceed to trial.
Call a Las Vegas Truck Accident Attorney Today
As a law firm, we have collected close to a billion dollars for our truck accident victims in Las Vegas and other cities in Clark County and surrounding areas. Our diligent attorneys and staff work tirelessly on motor vehicle accident cases to ensure our clients receive the best possible outcome.
We have a proven track record of success in court, and we are not afraid to take your case to trial if necessary. We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that an accident can take on a family, and we will fight for you every step of the way.
The aftermath of a semi-truck crash can be overwhelming, especially when you don’t know where to turn. At Shook & Stone, we are dedicated to providing our clients with the highest quality of legal representation that they deserve.
Our personal injury law firm has years of experience in the field, and we work hard to ensure that your truck accident claim is handled efficiently and effectively.
Contact us today for a free consultation with a Las Vegas truck accident lawyer at our firm.
Source:  Safety defects and long hours contribute to large truck crashes. (n.d.). IIHS-HLDI Crash Testing and Highway Safety. https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/safety-defects-and-long-hours-contribute-to-large-truck-crashes