The identity of a 7-year-old girl who was struck and killed by a pickup truck in North Las Vegas was confirmed earlier this week by her family and the Clark County Coroner’s Office.
The incident occurred in a crosswalk on Commerce Street, near Kraft Avenue on July 11. According to police, the girl was crossing the street just before 9pm when she was struck in a fiery collision by a Ford pickup truck. She was taken to UMC in extremely critical condition and later died from her injuries. The driver of the truck, a 47-year-old man, remained at the scene.
North Las Vegas Police officers do not believe that alcohol or drugs were involved in the accident, but the investigation is ongoing and the driver may still face criminal charges, depending on what investigative team uncover.
According to a Fox 5 news story on the matter, this marks the fourth traffic fatality in North Las Vegas so far this year.
Accidents of this kind serve as a tragic reminder of the severity of pedestrian-involved traffic collisions. Even in low-speed collisions, pedestrians may suffer catastrophic injuries or may even lose their lives. They are not offered the protection that motor vehicle occupants have, with seatbelts, airbags and a metal frame.
Young children may be more likely to experience serious injury because they are lighter and shorter than adults, sustaining the force of impact at torso or head level as opposed to legs or hips.
Children are also often at a higher risk of being struck by vehicles because of their smaller stature and the fact that they may play near the street or may cross without warning. In this particular case, the victim was using the crosswalk at the time of the accident, and this brings into question what may have caused the truck driver to strike her.
Distraction or another factor may have been to blame, but police investigators will need to analyze all evidence and any witness testimony before making a determination of cause.
How to Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones from Negligent Drivers on the Road
Negligent driving is the cause of many serious accidents and injuries. While there’s no surefire way to protect yourself from a negligent driver, there are steps you can take to stay safe on the road:
1. Drive defensively. Be aware of your surroundings at all times, including other motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians. Make eye contact with drivers whenever possible so you can be sure they’ve seen you.
2. Follow the speed limit and obey traffic signals. Don’t drive recklessly or take risks on the road, as this increases your risk of being involved in an accident.
3. Wear a seatbelt and make sure your passengers do too. Seatbelts are one of the best ways to protect yourself in the event of a collision.
4. Avoid distractions while driving. Don’t text, talk on the phone, or eat while driving. These activities can reduce your reaction time and increase your risk of being involved in an accident.
5. Make sure children are supervised when near the road, and teach them the basics of traffic safety. Explain to them how to safely cross the street or ride a bike in traffic.
By taking these steps and remaining vigilant on the roads, you can help keep yourself and your family safe from negligent drivers.
Shook & Stone: Your Personal Injury Lawyer in Las Vegas
Traffic collisions may be purely accidental, but they often still stem from some form of negligence on the part of a driver. If you were injured or lost a loved one in a car accident, pedestrian accident or truck accident in Las Vegas, you can obtain experienced insight from a personal injury lawyer at Shook & Stone.
Our legal team fights for the injured, seeking financial compensation for medical care, lost earnings, funeral costs and emotional trauma in the wake of serious auto accidents and other preventable injuries.
For a free consultation and case review, please call our offices. We also work on a contingent fee basis, which means you pay no legal fees unless we win your case.