Car accidents can be a frightening and overwhelming experience, especially if you or a loved one has been hurt. At Shook & Stone, our Las Vegas car accident lawyers are committed to helping victims and families navigate the aftermath of an accident – from the very moment they reach out to us, to the moment they receive the compensation they deserve.
Although car accidents can be a chaotic experience, there are a few things you should remember to protect yourself, your rights, and your potential personal injury claim. Here are a few tips on what to do after a car accident:
- Remain at the scene – Anyone who has been involved in an auto accident must remain at the scene. Not only is this essential to ensuring that anyone injured receives the help they need, it is also the law. Fleeing the scene of an accident can subject you to criminal charges.
- Call law enforcement / emergency help – If emergency medical treatment is needed, contact emergency services immediately. If there is not an immediate medical emergency, contacting law enforcement is still a good idea. Officers can make an accident report and collect statements.
- Collect information – You should always exchange information with any and all drivers involved in your accident, including their name, contact information, driver’s license number, license plate number, and insurance information. If witnesses are present, you should also collect their information as well. Taking photos of the scene of the accident, property damage, and any visible injuries is also important.
- Don’t discuss fault – It is best not to discuss fault after an accident, even if you think you may be partially to blame. There may be circumstances that caused the accident that you may not know.
- Contact your insurance company – You should notify your insurance company about your accident as soon as possible.
- Keep medical records – When you seek medical treatment after an accident, always keep records. You can also ask for copies of medical reports and bills.
- Consult an attorney – The single most important thing you can do after an accident is to call an attorney. An experienced lawyer can inform you of your rights and the potential value of your claim. Don’t accept offers from an insurance company without first discussing your case with a lawyer.
Remembering all of these tips after an accident can be difficult, especially after an injury. At Shook & Stone, our personal injury attorneys are here to provide immediate support and assistance when victims need it most. For more information about your rights after a car accident, call 702-570-0000 for a FREE consultation.