If you have ever been involved in an accident, you likely know and understand how stressful they can be and that these overwhelming feelings extend well beyond the immediate aftermath. It is important to try to keep a clear head during this time to ensure you do not make any mistakes that could further add to your frustrations during this difficult and chaotic time.
To avoid making costly mistakes during your personal injury claim, take a moment to learn about some of the most common ones, so you can take the proper measures to prevent yourself from making them as well:
- You represented yourself: We trust professionals to do an endless number of tasks for us. You take your clothes to the dry cleaner, drive your car to a mechanic, trust plumbers and other maintenance crew to make sure your home is in tip-top shape, and so much more. Why would you take care of something as important as your personal injury claim on your own? A lot is at stake, particularly if you were severely injured and are in desperate need of compensation to cover the cost of your medical bills or lost wages. Assuming that you have the ability to represent yourself regarding a complex legal matter which typically requires years of education, training, and experience is a major mistake that no one should make.
- You delayed medical treatment: Many individuals feel fine or assume their injuries are minor after being involved in an accident. Unfortunately, many also later find that what seemed insignificant is actually a real medical problem. If you delayed seeking medical treatment, your personal injury claim is going to take a major hit and the insurance company will likely try to argue that, since you put off treatment, you are either exaggerating your injuries or did not actually sustain them in the accident. Moreover, you are putting your health at risk when you fail to see a doctor. Head injuries, for example, have the potential to produce life-altering effects, though they do not always produce immediate symptoms. Protect your health and your claim and see a doctor as soon as possible.
- You did not seek legal advice: Plenty of people are hesitant about hiring a personal injury attorney after an accident, but this does not mean you should not seek legal advice. Before you make any decisions, you should absolutely obtain some legal advice first, especially since many personal injury law firms provide free initial consultations.
- You gave a written statement or consented to a recorded interview: Insurance adjusters are quick to call injury victims after an accident and, as part of their predatory behavior, they will urge you to provide a statement in some form. They might even make it sound as though it is your obligation to do so. Guess what? You are not legally obligated to provide a written or recorded statement! This will only do your personal injury claim harm, so politely refuse to consent to this.
- You ignored your doctor’s advice: So, you went to the doctor, but then you failed to follow his or her advice. That is another huge mistake. Not only can this harm your health and ability to recover from your injuries, but it is going to hurt your case and make you seem as though you are not as injured as you claimed to be.
- You post on social media: Even if you are not posting specifically about your case or your injury, any social media activity can be taken out of context and potentially used against you. For example, if you post a picture of yourself having a good time at a friend’s birthday party, it could be argued that since you seem to be enjoying yourself, the injury is not impacting your life as much as you claim it has. Why risk it? Just halt your social media activity until your case reaches a resolution and closes.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Las Vegas
Being injured in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligent actions can be jarring and overwhelming, resulting in medical costs, missed time for work, and lost wages, to name a few. At Shook & Stone, our personal injury team in Las Vegas has over 85 years of combined legal experience that we will use to your advantage to fight for the compensation you deserve.
Get started on your case today and call Shook & Stone at 702-570-0000 to schedule your free initial case evaluation.