Nevada has a hot dry climate well suited to alternative modes of transportation like bicycling. However, the high traffic congestion within Las Vegas can be a very dangerous place for a cyclist. Making sure to follow the proper rules of the road and taking safety precautions can help prevent a Las Vegas car accident and keep a bicyclist safe and uninjured.
There are certain road rules and safety tips that bicyclists must and should follow when travelling on Nevada roads, especially if the roads are in high traffic cities like Las Vegas:
- Ride on the right side of the road and always with the flow of traffic;
- Be alert for cars pulling in and out of driveways;
- Stay off sidewalks;
- Use hand signals when turning or stopping;
- Look over your shoulder;
- Ride in a straight line;
- Wear reflective clothing and outfit a bicycle with a white headlight and red tail reflector if riding at night;
- Wear visible, bright-colored clothing during day-time riding;
- Always wear a hard-shell helmet; and
- Maintain a car door’s width away from parked/immobile cars to prevent being “doored.”
Even if a bicycle rider follows all of these rules and safety guidelines, it cannot prevent all bicycle accidents. Such is the situation with pedestrians, skateboarders, skaters and any other person using an active means of transportation. When Las Vegas drivers are inattentive, distracted, intoxicated, or otherwise reckless or negligent, other people often pay the price, whether they are a bicyclist, pedestrian, or motorist. With the help of an experienced Las Vegas personal injury attorney, a negligent or reckless driver can be held accountable for any accident and/or injuries they caused.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Nevada auto accident as the result of a negligent driver, the dedicated Las Vegas bicycle accident attorneys of Shook & Stone will work diligently to recover the compensation you deserve. Please call us today at 702-570-0000 for a consultation.