October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and Thursday, October 20th specifically observed as #PURPLETHURSDAY, also known as Wear Purple for Domestic Violence Awareness Day. This year we are proud to be partnering with Trail Lawyers Care and The Share Tree to help turn Nevada Purple on the 20th to raise awareness for domestic violence issues. Millions of Americans live in daily, silent fear within their own homes.
In addition, every year millions of children are exposed to domestic violence. Domestic violence incidents affect every person within a home and can have long-lasting negative effects on children’s emotional well-being, social and academic functioning. Although there has been substantial progress in reducing domestic violence, an average of 20 people are physically abused by intimate partners every minute.
This equates to more than 10 million abuse victims annually. It is important to remember that domestic violence does not discriminate. Domestic violence can affect anyone, regardless of race, age, income, or sexual orientation. Domestic violence is a pattern of abusive behavior in any relationship that is used to gain or maintain power and control over an intimate partner. Domestic violence can take many forms, including physical, sexual, emotional, and financial abuse.
Despite the epidemic of domestic violence, there are many myths and misconceptions about this issue. Some people believe that domestic violence is only physical violence, when in reality it can also include emotional and sexual abuse. Others believe that domestic violence is a personal issue that should be kept private, when in reality it is a public health crisis. And still others believe that domestic violence is a problem that only occurs in low-income households, when in reality it can affect anyone.
Your Help is Needed As a part of Trial Lawyers Care, Shook & Stone has teamed up with SafeNest (in the south) and Safe Embrace (in the north) to provide support and assistance to victims of domestic violence. How You Can Help
- Show your support by wearing purple on Thursday, October 20th.
- Hold a collection drive for gently used goods at your office or act as a drop-off location. When ready, contact SafeNest or Safe Embrace for pick-up arrangements. Scroll down for a list of drop-off locations.
- Visit the Amazon Wishlist and have items sent directly to the organizations.
SafeNest Wishlist (southern Nevada) When checking out, be sure to check SafeNest as the delivery location Safe Embrace Wishlist (northern Nevada) When checking out, be sure to check Safe Embrace as the delivery location
- Get involved by donating your time or services. Learn more about how you can help SafeNest and Safe Embrace.
- Assist with a monetary donation to SafeNest or Safe Embrace (For tracking purposes, be sure to include Trial Lawyers Care with your firm’s contact information)
We hope that you will join with us in supporting this cause and helping to put an end to domestic violence across the state of Nevada and the United States