What to Look for in a Personal Injury Attorney
If you were recently injured in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence, you might be looking into filing a personal injury claim to recover fair and just compensation for the costs associated with your injuries, including medical bills and lost wages. However, for many, having to look for a personal injury attorney is a first-time experience and the task itself might seem daunting if you are unsure of the qualities that are most important.
To help you on your quest for a personal injury attorney to effectively handle your case, we compiled a list of qualities you should look for in a prospective attorney:
- Experience: The law firm you are looking into hiring might provide incredible service, but if they are not backed by experience, they might not be equipped to handle your case. Ask the attorney you are considering how long they have been practicing personal injury law or if they regularly handle cases like yours.
- Success: Of course, an attorney’s level of experience will only count if it is also backed by a track record of success. If an attorney has been practicing personal injury law for over two decades, but barely won a handful of cases, this is not a great sign for you if you were to choose to hire him or her. Take a moment to inquire about the number of cases your attorney handled that resulted in successful verdicts or settlements.
- Commitment and communication: Your attorney’s commitment to you does not begin and end in court or when negotiating with the insurance company. He or she should be available to answer your questions and ensure you know the status of your case whenever there are any updates.
- Does what is best for clients: Trust is important in any relationship, including the one you have with your personal injury attorney. If you do not feel believe that an attorney will do what is best for you and is probably only interested in profiting off your suffering, follow your gut and find an attorney will treat you with the compassion you deserve and do what is best for you.
- Personality: You are going to be spending a fair amount of time with your attorney, going over the details of your case, asking questions, and discussing what the best course of action is, so you will want to make sure you feel comfortable with him or her. If you feel like you do not mesh well with an attorney’s personality, you might simply need to keep looking for one you feel a little more at ease with.
Skilled Personal Injury Attorney in Las Vegas
If you sustained injuries in an accident that was the fault of another party or entity, you might have a viable personal injury case for which you can obtain fair and just compensation. However, you will need a knowledgeable and experienced attorney on your side. At Shook & Stone in Las Vegas, our personal injury team has over 85 years of combined legal experience that we will use to your advantage. You should not have to pay for someone else’s mistakes.