After being involved in any type of car accident, your health should be a top priority. Whether you received medical treatment at the scene of the crash, were taken to a nearby hospital, or did not receive medical attention, it is important to seek timely medical treatment or a follow up visit with your doctor. Doing so can not only protect your health and safety, but also any potential personal injury claim you may choose to pursue against the at-fault driver.
At Shook & Stone, our Las Vegas car accident lawyers work closely with clients who have been harmed in a range of auto accidents. In addition to providing the counsel and representation needed to build strong claims and secure the compensation they deserve, we also offer our support as they navigate other aspects of their recovery and the turbulence that can follow preventable accidents. This includes medical treatment.
Just as any medical or legal professional would advise, we encourage victims of car wrecks to seek timely medical attention. When you do, there are a few important things you should discuss with your doctor:
- What are my injuries? – When seeing a doctor after a crash, they will want to know what happened in your collision. After explaining your accident and any symptoms you may be experiencing, they can conduct various tests, including MRIs and x-rays. These tests will aid them in diagnosing your injuries, which they can discuss openly and honestly with you. Having information about your injuries is critical to treating them and knowing what you can do to facilitate the doctor’s job of getting you better.
- What are my treatment options? – Once you have received a diagnosis and know the nature of your injuries, you should ask your doctor about available treatment options. In cases where injuries are not immediately severe, doctors will likely discuss conservative care approaches to treat your injuries initially. These include non-invasive treatments such as pain management, physical therapy, and chiropractic care. If these approaches do not help improve your condition, or if you have suffered more severe injuries, doctors may discuss options for more invasive procedures, including trigger point injections or even surgery. If more invasive procedures are being discussed, make sure you ask what they consist of, what you can expect, and how they can help improve your current condition.
- Do you need to see a specialist? – Depending on the nature of your injuries, you might want to consider seeing a specialist. Just as attorneys can focus on certain areas of law, medical professionals can also focus on treating certain injuries and ailments. If you experienced a concussion or brain injury, for example, you will want to speak to your doctor about seeing a neurologist, who has the experience and tools to conduct further testing and monitor your recovery as it relates to your brain injury.
- What is my prognosis? – A prognosis is a medical professional’s expert opinion about the nature of your injuries, short- and long-term symptoms you may experience, and what you can expect in terms of your recovery. A discussion of your prognosis can help you better understand what will be required of you as you obtain treatment and recover (regular appointments, certain things you can do on your own to help, etc.). It can also help you better understand how long a recovery might take, and whether a full recovery is possible.
- Can I work or enjoy certain activities? – Far too many accident victims cause themselves further harm by going back to work too early or engaging in activities when they should be taking it easy. As such, ask your doctor openly about whether you can work or perform the same type you did before while you recover. They may provide you with a note you can give your employer. You should also discuss limitations and things to avoid, including any physical activities or hobbies you may be used to doing. This can help you make the most of your recovery and avoid complications or setbacks.
Navigating the personal injury claim process, medical treatment, and the challenges that accompany accidents can be difficult, but they it can be done effectively with the help of proven lawyers like those at Shook & Stone. If you have questions about what steps you should take as you recover and pursue the compensation you deserve, contact us for a FREE consultation.