Pedestrian Injured in Las Vegas Car Accident
A woman was injured in a Las Vegas car accident after two cars collided and one of them crashed into her. According to CBS News, the pedestrian accident occurred on Charleston Boulevard between Main and Third.
Both vehicles were traveling west when they collided and one of them veered onto the sidewalk, crashing into the pedestrian. The woman was transported to a nearby hospital from the accident scene. An investigation is ongoing.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) released a report, which shows that 4,092 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes throughout the United States in the year 2009. Of the 243 Nevada traffic fatalities that occurred that year, 35 victims were pedestrian deaths. 
That means pedestrians accounted for 14.4 percent of all traffic accident fatalities in Nevada that year. That number is slightly higher than the national average, which is 12.1 percent.
Why Pedestrians Get Hit by Vehicles in Las Vegas
Pedestrians getting hit by vehicles is a problem that unfortunately plagues many cities across the world, and Las Vegas is no exception. There are several reasons why this happens.
One major reason is that Las Vegas is a city designed for cars, not pedestrians. The streets are wide and the traffic is often heavy, making it difficult for pedestrians to cross the road safely. Many areas lack proper sidewalks and crosswalks, which can force pedestrians to walk in dangerous areas.
Another reason why pedestrians get hit by vehicles in Las Vegas is the high volume of tourists. Many visitors to the city are not familiar with the streets and may be distracted by the sights and sounds around them, leading to incidents of jaywalking or crossing the road without proper attention.
Other reasons may include:
- Alcohol consumption: The city is known for its nightlife, and many pedestrians and drivers may be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, impairing their judgment and reflexes.
- Distracted drivers: Drivers often fail to pay attention to their surroundings and are unaware of pedestrians who may be crossing the street. Distractions may include texting, talking on the cell phone or eating.
- Impaired driving: Drivers who operate a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol can put everyone on the road at risk, including pedestrians.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving is one of the leading causes of pedestrian accidents in Las Vegas. Many drivers fail to obey traffic laws, ignore traffic signals, and speed excessively, putting pedestrians in harm’s way.
- Speed: When drivers exceed the posted speed limit, they may not be able to stop in time to avoid hitting a pedestrian.
Accidents involving pedestrians can cause serious, life-altering injuries and even death. If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is important to contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. A pedestrian accident attorney can help you understand your rights and secure the maximum compensation that you are entitled to.
How to Prevent Las Vegas Car Accidents?
Las Vegas car accidents can be prevented by taking certain precautions:
- Avoid distracted driving, such as texting or eating while driving
- Always wear a seatbelt and ensure all passengers do the same
- Follow posted speed limits and traffic signals
- Practice defensive driving by staying alert and aware of your surroundings
Compensation for Nevada’s Pedestrian Accidents
- Pedestrian accident victims may be entitled to compensation for medical costs related to their injuries
- Lost wages and income can also be included in damages for pedestrian accident claims in Nevada
- Pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of quality of life may also be considered in determining damages
- In cases of wrongful death, damages may include funeral and burial expenses, loss of financial support, and loss of companionship and support
How to File a Personal Injury Claim After a Pedestrian Accident
Victims of serious injury pedestrian accidents are often left wondering how they will pay for their medical treatment and for all the time they have missed from work. When a car driver is responsible for the injuries suffered, the victim may file a personal injury claim against the negligent driver.
- Seek medical care immediately
- Gather evidence by taking photos of the accident scene and getting witness contact information
- Contact a personal injury lawyer experienced in pedestrian accidents
- File a claim with the insurance company of the at-fault driver
How Shook & Stone Can Help?
The skilled Las Vegas pedestrian accident attorneys at Shook & Stone Law Firm know how to determine liability for a pedestrian injury accident. We protect the rights of our clients while holding the at-fault party accountable. To discuss your legal options with our pedestrian accident lawyers at absolutely no cost, call our offices at 702-570-0000 today.
 United States Department of Transportation. (n.d.). Traffic Safety Facts 2009. In Traffic Safety Facts 2009 Data. NHTSA’s National Center for Statistics and Analysis. Retrieved May 31, 2023, from https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811394