What Kind of Damages Could I be Entitled To?
Las Vegas Car Accident Attorney
After a car accident, it is imperative that you secure legal representation, because often car accident victims are not aware of all of the damages they could be entitled to. Each case is different, which means the damages you can fight for are different too. Common damages in a car accident include:
A Personal Injury Case
- If your car or any personal property was damaged as a result of the car accident, you can fight for compensation! Property damage can also include towing costs, vehicle storage fees, appraisals, body shop repairs and replacement costs.
- Normally an insurance company will pay your medical expenses, but if you paid for any expenses out-of-pocket, you can fight to recover medical expenses. Examples of medical expenses arising from a car accident can include ambulance fees, crutches/heating pads, in-home services and hospital bills.
- Outside of surgery and treatment (medical bills), if you have ongoing rehabilitation expenses, you can fight for compensation for this as well.
Loss of Income: Past, Present & Future
- If you could not work as a result of the accident, you could be entitled to compensation for all lost income, past and present! While most car accident victims are able to return to work after the accident, they may not be able to perform the same responsibilities and as a result, their earnings may be reduced.
Pain & Suffering: Past, Present & Future
- Pain and suffering is defined as mental and physical distress. These damages will be based on the type of injury you sustained, the seriousness of the pain and the prognosis for future pain. Anxiety and stress can also be categorized as ‘pain and suffering.’
Permanent Injury or Disability
- Permanent injury/disability not only means increased medical bills, it also means a permanent reduced earnings capacity. You may be able to qualify for disability benefits.
- If “gross negligence” can be proved, you could be awarded damages to punish the defendant. The most common example of a car accident where punitive damages can be awarded is one involving DUI. Other circumstances that could warrant punitive damages include excessive speed, violation of a traffic law, unlicensed driver or driving a vehicle knowing it was in poor condition.
A Wrongful Death Case
Everything Listed Above (Personal Injury Damages)
- If your loved one died as a result of injuries sustained in a car crash, you can fight for medical bills, loss of income, pain and suffering, etc. You are also entitled to other damages (see below).
- Punitive damages are most often awarded in wrongful death cases. When someone’s negligent driving behavior causes you to lose a loved one, your family deserves justice and compensation!
Loss of Consortium
- If you lost your spouse in a car accident, you can fight for compensation for the value of benefits of married life that you lost. Consortium encompasses the “company of, help of, affection of, and sexual relations of a mate.”
- When someone’s negligent driving takes your loved one’s life, you should not have to foot expensive funeral bills. You can fight for compensation for funeral expenses!
How to Receive 100% of the Damages You Deserve
When you hire a competent car accident attorney, he/she will fight for your rights and use every resource necessary to help you secure maximum compensation. There are things you can do which can jeopardize your case and things you can do that can help you ensure you receive the amount of damages you deserve. These helpful steps include:
- Take pictures of the damage done to your car
- Take notes of any personal property that was damaged (for example, CD player, sunglasses, laptop, cell phone, laptop, etc.)
- Take pictures of your injuries
- Write down how you are feeling physically after the accident and take detailed notes of all the injuries you sustained
- Write down everything you can remember about the car accident
- Do not admit guilt after an accident, only exchange contact information with the other driver and provide factual answers to the police
- Call your insurance company promptly
- Have a claims adjuster look at your vehicle
- Keep track of your medical bills
- Hire a lawyer to make sure that all the necessary evidence is collected to make your case strong and to ensure that your insurance company does not short-change you
At Shook & Stone, our goal is to secure the compensation and justice a car accident victim and their family deserves. Over the years, we have successfully secured over $500 million in compensation for our clients. Best of all, you do not have to pay us a cent unless we are successful! For afree consultation, call us today!