Call for a FREE case review: (702) 570-0000
Llame para una revisión de caso GRATIS: (702) 570-0000

Call 24/7 for a FREE consultation | You pay nothing until we win

Am I Covered for a Hit-and-Run Accident?

Many auto insurance policies have an uninsured or underinsured motorist clause (UM/UIM). This means that your insurance will cover you for accidents caused by drivers without proper insurance. This also means that you have access to coverage when someone who fled the scene caused your accident. A hit and run driver can be viewed essentially in the same light as someone without insurance.

Each state has different auto insurance requirements for minimum coverage. According to the Nevada Division of Insurance, all Nevada drivers must have at least $15k per person bodily injury, $30k per accident bodily injury and $10k per accident property damage. This can be referred to as a 15/30/10 plan. This is the minimum requirement, but any driver can purchase more. Keep in mind that this is liability insurance. Liability insurance covers you if you are at-fault for an accident and also provides compensation to others involved in the accident for property damage and bodily injury.

In Nevada, uninsured motorist insurance is not required but can be purchased in addition to their liability coverage. Before you can receive UM coverage after a hit-and-run accident, you must pay a deductible. You can choose your own deductible, as it factors into the total cost of your insurance. Usually what happens is a higher deductible will result in a lower cost of insurance and vice versa.

UM insurance coverage will differ depending on where you live, your driving history, the insurance company you choose to go through, etc. The average for amount of UM coverage in Nevada is $50k/$30k. Keep in mind that hit-and-run is a crime, and that the driver who hit you could face criminal penalties if they are caught. All drivers are required by law to stop after an accident according to § 484E.030 of the Nevada Revised Statutes.