Las Vegas Intersection Accidents
Car Accident Lawyer in Las Vegas, NV
Traffic intersections, and the laws that go with them, are necessary for the smooth functioning of our nation’s roads. Without this organization, getting from point A to point B would mean taking your life into your hands. Though controlled by traffic lights or signs, intersections can prove dangerous in the presence of negligence.
Las Vegas is notorious for having some of the largest intersections in Nevada, which are unfortunately one of the most common locations for serious traffic accidents. Nevada motorists, pedestrians and
bicyclists experience an increased risk of injury or death when drivers do not follow traffic laws, such as by failing to yield right-of-way. Not adhering to traffic laws is a form of negligence and negligent drivers may be held liable for the accidents they cause.
Any person who is injured at an intersection due to the negligence of a driver, whether they, themselves, are a driver, passenger, motorcyclist, bicyclist, or pedestrian, may have cause for legal action. To find out whether you have a valid Nevada personal injury claim, contact an experienced car accident lawyer with Shook & Stone. We can help you determine the best course of action for your particular case.
Common Causes of Intersection Accidents
Intersection accidents can be caused by a number of factors, many of which involve the negligence of other drivers. Below are a few of the most common causes of intersection accidents.
- Unsafe Speeds - Unsafe speeds contribute to a number of intersection accidents, especially when vehicles speed up in an attempt to beat a light. Speeding makes it increasingly difficult to react to potential accidents.
- Distracted driving - Motorists who devote their attention to things other than the primary task of driving can became incredibly dangerous at intersections. Distracted motorists often fail to see traffic signals and vehicles that may have already stopped or entered an intersection.
- Driver fatigue - Studies have noticed that tired driving can be as dangerous, if not more so, than driving drunk. Tired drivers have slower reaction times, which makes them a hazard at intersections filled with bustling traffic.
- Poor intersection design - Some intersections may not be designed in a way that provides full visibility to all motorists or clearly designated lanes. Poor visibility and dangerous road conditions contribute to many intersection accidents.
- Drunk driving - Impaired driving is a leading cause of preventable auto accidents. Drunk or drugged drivers have reduced reaction times and impaired motor functioning. At intersections, this often means that they can easily run red lights or make poor safety decisions.
- Vehicle defects - Defective auto parts can contribute to intersection accidents. For example, defective brakes or faulty tires can prevent motorists from being able to stop in time at an intersection.
The Power of the Red Light
Most of the intersection crash causes above also include the failure to yield the right-of-way. Nevada right-of-way laws are essential to an intersection running smoothly. If a speeding driver runs through a red light or stop sign, they have failed to yield the right-of-way.
Far too many Las Vegas intersection crashes occur because of a driver’s failure to stop at a red light. Under NRS 484.283 7(c), a motorist is permitted to turn right on a red light after coming to a complete stop, unless signage at an intersection states otherwise. A driver has to be in the far most right-hand lane and yield to pedestrians and all traffic moving through the intersection before making a right-hand turn while the light signal is red.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer?
Nevada does not allow the use of imaging equipment for red light violations or speeding unless it is hand-held by an officer, installed in a vehicle or facility of a law enforcement agency. This makes it all the more important for an intersection accident victim to obtain legal counsel and representation from an experienced Nevada car crash attorney.
Seek Justice with a Car Accident Attorney
Personal injury claims may be filed by victims of intersection accidents so that they can seek compensation from at-fault parties. Auto accident victims usually face substantial physical, financial, and emotional challenges. With an aggressive Las Vegas personal injury lawyer on your side, you can ensure that your rights are protected. At Shook & Stone, we dedicate our practice to helping injury victims receive compensation for pain and suffering, medical bills, future medical care, physical therapy expenses, lost wages, and more.
If you or someone you care about has been injured in a Nevada intersection accident or another type of auto accident, Shook & Stone is here to help you hold negligent parties legally responsible. Contact a Las Vegas car accident lawyer from our firm today.