Las Vegas Car Accident Lawyer
A traffic accident can be caused by a number of different factors; however, one such cause not commonly recognized is hazardous roadways. The main reason most drivers underestimate the potential dangers of unsafe or improperly maintained roads is that drivers trust that the municipalities in charge of monitoring the roads are doing so efficiently. However, due to various budget issues, oversight, or mistakes in miscommunication, this isn't always the case. Insurance companies or law enforcement officers often believe a motor vehicle accident is caused by one of the drivers involved, but a dangerous roadway can certainly contribute to a driver losing control of his or her vehicle, which can lead to a serious collision.
Injured victims should seek qualified legal representation after an accident, and Shook & Stone can help Nevada residents seek the compensation they deserve.
Nevada's Dangerous Roads Take on Many Forms
Hazardous roads take on more forms than one would think. There are a variety of hazards on a dangerous roadway that can increase the risk of a motorist getting into an accident. Common dangerous road conditions include the following:
- Compromised Visibility: Foliage (trees, tree branches, plants, flowers, etc.) should not block street signs and traffic lights, and proper lighting should be provided at all times by those in charge of maintaining the road.
- Perilous Curves: Hazards such as curves in the road or blind intersections, all a result of improper roadway design, can make navigation difficult for drivers.
- Lack of Guard Rails: Many roadways lack protection for drivers, including center dividers or guardrails. In some instances, a center divider or guardrail may be present, but may be broken or inadequate for the surroundings and the speed limit.
- Improperly Designed Intersections: A poorly designed intersection can be dangerous for motorists, and a review of the street's history can show if it is.
- Inadequately Maintained Roads: Motorcyclists are at a high risk for a crash caused by an inadequately maintained road, but problems such as uneven pavement or potholes are a threat to all drivers.
Liability Issues in Car Accidents Caused by Hazardous Roadways
In a traffic accident case that involves a hazardous roadway, a plaintiff must prove that the roadway was a major cause in the crash and that the entity overseeing the road was aware of the problem but failed to fix it in a timely manner. A knowledgeable Las Vegas car accident attorney with Shook & Stone understands the complexities of this type of claim and will work to ensure any negligent parties are held responsible for the damage caused. There is a stringent statute of limitations in regards to claims against the government, so to ensure your lawful rights are protected, please contact our offices immediately to schedule a consultation. Our telephone number is (888) 662-2013, and your information will be kept confidential.